The reservoir stores water for the agricultural area surrounding Lovelock, which is at the far downstream reach of the Humboldt, near the Humboldt Sink. The Lovelock area receives 5.76 inches of rain annually. The dam was built between 1935 and 1936 as New Deal project. The dam was funded by the Public Works Administration and employed workers from the Civilian Conservation Corps. The dam was expanded in 1975-6, raising the dam three feet to provide the reservoir with more storage capacity. Average annual storage throughout its year history is approximately 45,000 acre-feet. Game fishes include white crappie, largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, spotted bass, wipers (stripe-white bass hybrid), walleye, yellow perch, channel catfish, bluegill, and white bass.